Stars on Ice Light Up the Night
If you, like so many millions of people, were glued to the figure skating competition at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games, the artistry and athleticism of skaters like Maia and Alex Shibutani, Alexa and Chris Knierim, and Nathan Chen dazzled and kept you cheering. Most likely, though, you were cheering from your couch, rather than rinkside in South Korea. Well, thanks to Sun Valley on Ice, Sun Valley’s world famous Saturday night al fresco, figure skating extravaganza, you can now see these stars, and the other top names in the sport, live at one of the most intimate and beautiful venues around. This is a Sun Valley experience like no other.
Sun Valley on Ice is the most up-close, intimate way to see the brightest stars in figure skating -- anywhere
This year’s headliners present a truly dazzling array of the brightest lights on ice, starting with a blockbuster show on July 4. Celebrate with entertainment as electrifying as the fireworks that follow. Two-time 2018 Olympic Bronze Medalists, World Silver Medalists, two-time United States Gold Medalists and crowd darlings Maia and Alex Shibutani (otherwise known as the Shib sibs), will make it a holiday to remember. The ice dancers are known for their lyricism, artistry, and one of their Olympic programs, set to Coldplay’s Paradise, is one few fans will soon forget. The brother-and-sister team made history in PyeongChang as the first U.S. siblings to win an Olympic ice dance medal. They will skate in Sun Valley for an audience perched just feet from the ice where every smile, powerful jump, and scrape of the blade, is in full view. Magic! The show begins at dusk (late this time of year … probably around 9:30 p.m.) and the show lasts about 70 minutes. A fireworks spectacular follows.
The Shibutani siblings bring their Olympic spirit to the July 4 opener of Sun Valley on Ice. Let the fireworks begin!
A Sun Valley favorite follows on July 21. Nathan Chen, a Salt Lake City native, has trained at the Sun Valley rink during the summers since he was a little boy – performing in the ice show and wowing spectators with his precocious talent. This summer, he returns to his home-away-from-home an Olympic champion. In fact, he is a 2018 World Gold Medalist, 2018 U.S. Gold Medalist, and 2018 Olympic Bronze Medalist. The powerful skater is perhaps most well known for his absolutely amazing quad jumps – yes, four rotations in the air from take off to landing. In fact, he was the first man to perform four quads in a free skate at the 2016 U.S. Championships. Here, he is sure to give one of his signature powerhouse performances to a crowd that’s been with him from the start!
Nathan Chen grew up on Sun Valley ice. He returns on July 21 an Olympic champion
The excitement continues on July 28 when 2018 World Silver Medalists and 2018 United States Gold Medalist ice dancers Madison Hubbell and Zach Donohue headline. This beautiful team is grace on skates with a good dose of flair and drama thrown in!
The incomparable duo of Madison Hubbell and Zach Donohue headline on July 28
The duo of Alexa and Chris Knierim delight and dazzle on August 4. The married pairs partners elicited gasps during the 2018 Olympics with their gravity-defying throws and lifts. Their quad twist will go down in history and the Sun Valley crowd is in for a treat during this special performance.
Remember this team’s quad twist in PyeongChang? Come to Sun Valley on Ice on August 4 and see the amazing skaters in person!
The ice heats up in the second part of the summer when the one-and-only Mirai Nagasu skates on August 11. This 2018 Olympic Bronze Medalist and 2018 United States Silver Medalist is also a history maker. In South Korea, she landed a triple axel during her free skate portion of the team event, becoming the first American woman to do so at the Olympics. Amazing!
Don’t miss the show with headliner Mirai Nagasu. She is the first American woman to land a triple axel at the Olympics
Another fan favorite, Bradie Tennell, headlines the show on August 25. Please note, the dinner buffet is sold out for this show, but grandstand seating is still available. Get your tickets now – you won’t want to miss this one! Bradie, a 2018 Olympic Bronze Medalist and 2018 US Gold Medalist, stormed the figure skating scene with her explosive jumps and her reputation for nerves of steel.
Fan favorite Bradie Tennell will star in a show you won’t soon forget on August 25
Last, but certainly not least, Adam Rippon, another favorite from the games in South Korea, skates out the season on September 1. The two-time United States Silver Medalist, United States Gold Medalist, and 2018 Olympic Bronze Medalist is not only an amazing skater, he was named to the 2018 Time 100 List. He is certain to put on a memorable show.
Adam Rippon keeps the summer vibe going through the final show of the season on September 1
And, as great as the headliners who are coming to Sun Valley are, the show’s ensemble skaters, soloists, dancers, and pairs teams are world-class, too. Ashley Clark, a favorite soloist in the show known for her literal and figurative pyrotechnics, said the cast is thrilled to be back in Sun Valley and are ready to perform. “It’s always like coming home when it’s Sun Valley on Ice season,” she said. “We are all excited to see each other and perform for fantastic crowds. This year’s show is going to be awesome. Angela Wang joined the cast and is adding so much. Everyone needs to come out and enjoy this one-of-a-kind experience.”
Tickets may be purchased by calling 208-622-2135, by stopping by the Guest Center in the Sun Valley Village or by logging on to http://sunvalley.ticketfly.com/.
In order to make your experience the best it can be, here is Sun Valley on Ice 101:
- If you purchase grandstand seats, bring a blanket or extra jacket to sit on.
- Layer up! When the sun sets the temperature really drops.
- For a sneak peek at the show, grab lunch on the Gretchen’s patio on a Friday. Chances are, you will see members of the show practicing.
- The pros are all very gracious and love to sign autographs and chat with fans following the show. Be sure to stay if you’d like to say hello to your favorite skater.
- Clap loudly and smile broadly. The performers in Sun Valley on Ice say one of the reasons they love this show is that they are so close to the audience. They feel and feed off of your energy and enthusiasm.
- If children are coming to the show (which they absolutely should!), a nap earlier in the day is a good idea. Shows begin at dusk, which early in the summer doesn’t fall until 9:30 p.m. or later. Daycare during the Ice Show is also available at the Sun Valley Playschool. Advance reservations are required. Contact the Playschool at 208-622-2288 for reservations.
- An extra special way to enjoy Sun Valley on Ice is to make a reservation for the lavish dinner buffet on Gretchen’s terrace before the show. The food is as great as the entertainment.
- Up the ante even more by enjoying a special Sun Valley room package. You will receive tickets to the performance, a private VIP meet and greet including a photo and signature session before the show, as well as a wonderfully luxurious room, all while remaining at the center of the action. Please call 800-SUN-VALY for details and to make your reservations.
In Sun Valley, the stars on the ice shine as brightly as the stars above the ice. Prepare to be dazzled!
comments powered by Disqus