The Presidents’ Weekend holiday is nearly upon us, and for many lucky families, the whole of Presidents’ week as well. In Sun Valley, this means non-stop activities for the whole family, from the slopes to sleigh rides.
Of course, most people come to Sun Valley for the weekend and for ski week to ski or ride and this season conditions simply couldn’t be better. Winter storm after winter storm blanketed Baldy and Dollar in deep snow, allowing people to explore
‘Tis the season to get out that red pen and mark your calendar so as not to miss any of the memorable events that will make holidays in Sun Valley the merriest yet! From engaging entertainment, to fabulous food: from fun for the family to sensational shopping – it’s all right here. There is so much going on, you won’t want to miss a minute.
A very special Sun Valley holiday officially kicks off on Saturday, December 12, with the annual Winter Wonderland party from 1 – 4 p.m. If you’d like a glimpse of what an old-fashioned winter celebration should look like, be sure to stop by the Sun Valley Village to enjoy all the fun the day offers. The Winter Wonderland features a visit from Santa, a Village train ride for the little ones, live holiday music performances, free “Wrap-n-Run” gift wrapping at the Signatures Gift Shop, seasonal food offerings, and a children’s gingerbread and cookie decorating party in the Boiler Room. The afternoon is a celebration for all ages and is free aside from the cookie decorating that costs $7 per child. Their wonderful gooey, sugary, candy-covered creations are theirs to keep!
Sun Valley is a magical place during the holidays and there are so many ways to celebrate. Be sure to check the busy schedule of events and mark your calendars now!
The Winter Wonderland party marks the beginning of a “White Christmas” Window Stroll and Scavenger Hunt at the Village that runs through January 3. Visit the festive shops at the Village, find the perfect gift or just window shop, and collect your ornament prizes as part of the Scavenger Hunt. It’s great fun for all!
On December 19, Sun Valley’s Village Christmas tree will be the star attraction during the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony in the Village. Beginning at 5:30 p.m., Santa Claus will come to town, the famous Sun Valley Carolers will ring in the season with their beautiful a cappella renditions of Christmas favorites, children young and old will enjoy free cookies and hot chocolate, “elves” will provide free gift wrapping at the Signatures Gift Shop (to benefit the local Girls on the Run organization), and our very own masters of the chainsaw will give ice carving demonstrations. The Carolers will remain at Sun Valley through December 29, delighting visitors with their traditional Victorian costumes, sparkling smiles, and gorgeous voices.
Another major can’t-miss holiday event comes on December 20 when the 8th Annual Classic Christmas Concert return to Sun Valley. The concert begins at 7 p.m. and will be held at the Limelight Room. It features glorious voices singing holiday favorites and admission is $22 for general seating and $50 for VIP tickets.
One of the highlights of the season, especially for families, is the annual Winter Wonderland party. Sip cocoa, decorate cookies, and whisper your wishes in Santa’s ear.
In addition to the events listed above, Sun Valley will host a special 12 Days of Christmas, offering daily events to keep the fun coming. For a full list of offerings, please click HERE, but a sample of what is planned includes:
Fashion, Fun and Shopping:
- Take a peek at one of the world’s premiere skiwear lines while enjoying libations and snacks at the Bogner Fire & Ice Party at the Village Location of the Brass Ranch. The party runs from 5 – 8 p.m. on December 12.
- Love ugly, I mean vintage, holiday sweaters? Don your favorite and come to the Duchin Lounge on December 18 from 5 – 7 p.m. for some special holiday cheer. Prizes will be awarded for first, second, and third place.
- For $5 per person, enjoy a game of bowling (shoes included!) at the beautifully renovated retro Bowling Center on December 13. This “throwback” event promises fun for the whole group and will run from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Take a spin around the iconic Sun Valley Outdoor ice rink – or a few – on December 14. A family skating party, including admission, skate rental, and raffle prizes and costs $9 per person.
Dining and Dancing:
- On December 15, dancing returns to the Duchin Room at the Sun Valley Lodge when Brooks Hartell entertains during the evening. Put on those dancing shoes and come out to party!
- Sun Valley is synonymous with fondue and on December 16, this wonderful specialty will be served in the Lodge Lobby from 4 to 5 p.m.
- If you love high tea, the place to be on December 20 and 26 is the Lodge Terrace Room. From 2 – 5 p.m., enjoy tea sandwiches, sweets and other treats either with or without champagne. Please call 208-622-2097 to secure your reservation.
Just for Children:
- The stories of the holidays are some of the most beloved of all and children will enjoy listening to their favorite tales at the Lodge Sunroom. From 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. on December 17 and 23, little ones are invited to gather round and listen. Several different stories will be read and each child attending will receive a holiday treat bag. This wonderful memory-making event is held in conjunction with the Community Library of Ketchum.
- On December 23 and 24, do something really special and enjoy Brunch with Santa at the Sun Valley Clubhouse. Enjoy a bountiful meal and some special time with the big man himself. For reservations and details please call 208-622-2919.
All of the seasonal joy leads up to a one-of-a-kind Sun Valley Christmas Eve filled with a spectacular ice show, a torchlight parade, and, of course, fireworks.
Please check back to this blog for more on the 12 Days of Christmas events, as well as a full preview of the Christmas Eve celebration featuring the Nutcracker on Ice, Torchlight Parade down Dollar Mountain, and fireworks display, as well as a sneak peek at New Year’s celebrations.
Phew! Looks like these few quiet weeks before the holidays may be a good time to catch up on sleep and rest up for all the festivities to come. Be sure to make the time enjoy as many of these Sun Valley events as you can fit in. Each is unique and will help make your holidays merry and bright – white is a given!
Ho, ho, ho.
Every year at Thanksgiving, the Madsen family of Hailey plans a getaway to a luxury hotel to relax and recharge ahead of the busy holiday season. Most years, their itineraries...Read More
Skiing & Riding
There’s nothing quite like the first day of ski season. It’s like a combination of the first day of school and Christmas morning—except there...Read More
Skiing & Riding
We have all been waiting anxiously and counting down the days until Bald and Dollar Mountains open for the season. That day is nearly here. On Thanksgiving morning, November 26, starting...Read More
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, but it’s not too late to secure the perfect table for your group – big or small. Whether you are coming to...Read More