The ski area within a ski area. A special place to glide down a wide-open bowl, navigate through trees, and descend deep chutes. This is the proposed Cold Springs Canyon Project area that will expand the skiable terrain by over 380 acres at Sun Valley Resort.
When the project is complete, in the Fall of 2020, it will include replacing the resort’s oldest chairlift, Cold Springs (#4), with a new high-speed detachable lift, providing a seamless transition to The Roundhouse, the Roundhouse Express Gondola, and Christmas (#3) chairlift. For those who prefer groomers and gradual pitches, the Lower Broadway run is being extended 4,200 feet, lined with highly efficient snowmaking guns. The first phase of construction was completed in 2018, with the re-routing and redevelopment of the Cold Springs mountain bike trail.
- The location is in both USFS and BLM areas.
- The project is completely within the current Sun Valley Ski Area Special Use Permit.
- It was submitted as an amendment to the existing Sun Valley Master Plan, which was approved in 2007.
Project Image Board
Replacement of the Cold Springs (#4) Chairlift
The main purpose of the project is the replacement of the Cold Springs (#4) chairlift, the oldest lift still operating at the resort.
- The new chairlift will be a detachable lift with a vertical rise of 1,525 feet and be 5,500 feet long.
- It will be a six-minute ride from the bottom of the lift terminal to The Roundhouse.
- Lower Broadway (similar width and gradient as existing ski run) will be extended approximately 3,400 feet to the new lift lower terminal.
Chairlift Replacement Overview
Increased Skiable Terrain
- Skiable acreage within the Sun Valley Resort boundary will increase more than 20% from 2,054 acres to 2,434 acres (380 acres) when the project is completed.
- Access from the top of Seattle Ridge, where skiers and riders may descend into “Turkey Bowl,” then proceed north for access to extensive tree skiing.
New Terrain Overview
- Snowmaking is being extended down Lower Broadway to the base of the new Cold Springs lift terminal with 18 additional snowmaking guns.
Rerouted and Improved Cold Springs Mountain Bike Trail
- The Cold Springs mountain bike trail was rerouted and improved in July 2018 with more singletrack and shaded riding.
Coming in the 2020-21 season
"Experience Cold Springs Canyon" Tours
The exciting Cold Springs Canyon area on Bald Mountain, opening up 380 new acres of new terrain next season, will be available for a sneak preview starting in February 2019.
Offered on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays each week (weather and conditions permitting), groups of eight advanced skiers per day can take informative tours given by Sun Valley’s Ski Patrol and SnowSports instructors. Guests meet at the Seattle Ridge Day Lodge at 10:00 am for an introduction and assignments.
Due to the difficulty of the terrain, skiers will have an ability evaluation before taking the tour.
There is no charge to participate, but reservations are required by registering at the Sun Valley SnowSports desk at River Run Day Lodge. Questions, please call the Sun Valley SnowSports desk at 208.622.2289.