The ski area within a ski area. A special place to glide down a wide-open bowl, navigate through trees, and descend deep chutes. The Cold Springs Canyon Project area will expand the skiable terrain by 380 acres at Sun Valley Resort.
When the project is complete, in the Fall of 2019, it will include replacing the resort’s oldest chairlift, Cold Springs (#4), with a new high-speed detachable lift, providing a seamless transition to The Roundhouse, the Roundhouse Express Gondola, and Christmas (#3) chairlift. For those who prefer groomers and gradual pitches, the Lower Broadway run is being extended 3,400 feet, lined with highly efficient snowmaking guns, all the way to the new Cold Springs lift lower terminal. Construction started this summer, with the re-routing and redevelopment of the Cold Springs mountain bike trail.
- The location is in both USFS and BLM areas.
- The project is completely within the current Sun Valley Ski Area Special Use Permit.
- It was submitted as an amendment to the existing Sun Valley Master Plan, which was approved in 2007.
Project Image Board
Replacement of the Cold Springs (#4) Chairlift
The main purpose of the project is the replacement of the Cold Springs (#4) chairlift, the oldest lift still operating at the resort.
- The new chairlift will be a detachable lift with a vertical rise of 1,525 feet and be 5,500 feet long.
- It will be a six-minute ride from the bottom of the lift terminal to The Roundhouse.
- Lower Broadway (similar width and gradient as existing ski run) will be extended approximately 3,400 feet to the new lift lower terminal.
Chairlift Replacement Overview
Increased Skiable Terrain
- Skiable acreage within the Sun Valley Resort boundary will increase more than 20% from 2,054 acres to 2,434 acres (380 acres) when the project is completed.
- Access from the top of Seattle Ridge, where skiers and riders may descend into “Turkey Bowl,” then proceed north for access to extensive tree skiing.
New Terrain Overview
- Snowmaking is being extended down Lower Broadway to the base of the new Cold Springs lift terminal with 18 additional snowmaking guns.
Rerouted and Improved Cold Springs Mountain Bike Trail
- The Cold Springs mountain bike trail was rerouted and improved in July 2018 with more singletrack and shaded riding.
- Field work began with an environmental assessment.
- The re-routing and re-construction of the Cold Springs mountain bike – completed in July.
- Grading and site preparation in the Cold Springs Canyon project area.
- Timber work on eight acres in the Lower Broadway area
- Survey profile of lift
- “Experience Cold Springs Canyon” guided tours of the Cold Springs Canyon area.
- Utility and lift terminal preparations
- New lift construction
- Snowmaking installed
- Ski area boundary modifications
- Tree glading in Cold Springs chutes east
- The Cold Springs area is open with new high-speed chairlift, expanded terrain, and additional snowmaking.
"Experience Cold Springs Canyon" Guided Tours
The Cold Springs Canyon Project on Bald Mountain, opening up 380 new acres of new terrain, is underway! This winter, you can enjoy a preview of the area by Sun Valley's professional mountain guides. They will be leading advanced skiers on a tour of the exciting new terrain. More information to come!