Your Guide to 4 Weeks of Winter Wonder in Sun Valley
Nestled in a mountain paradise, the Sun Valley Village shines a little brighter during the holiday season. Blanketed in snow and alive with activity, the shops, restaurants, and lodges transform into a cozy Christmas town. From the first Noel of the carolers to the final shimmer of fireworks on New Year's Eve, our Winter Wonderland brings the whole family together to create irreplaceable memories.
To ensure you make the most of everything Sun Valley has to offer this season, we’ve made a list (and checked it twice) of the very best festivities during these four weeks of holiday magic.
Week 1: Winter Wonderland Kick-off
The holidays at Sun Valley commence with time-honored traditions and plenty of opportunities to spread seasonal cheer. Everywhere you look, fresh and festive decor will create picture-perfect celebrations of this most wonderful time of the year.
Saturday, December 9th
- Say cheese! Snap a photo with Santa and decorate holiday cookies in the Boiler Room.
- Sing along! The Colla Voce carolers will be carrying a tune and some holiday cheer throughout the Village.
- Lookout! The Holiday Scavenger Hunt begins. Search each of the Holiday Windows for a tiny Christmas mouse.
- Laugh out loud at the Opera House! Our stand-up comedy series continues with a performance from Keith Barany.
Sunday, December 10th
Shop for a Cause at select Village stores, including Brass Ranch, Pete Lane’s, and more. Whether treating yourself or making your way through your gifting list, a portion of your purchase will be donated to a local nonprofit.
Week 2: Tree Lighting, Open-air Market, & more!
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas, and as the second week of Winter Wonderland rolls around, magic and marvels are taken to new heights. Plus, starting December 17th, our historic Bowling Alley will open early for more hours of classic family fun.
Friday, December 15th
- Make it a movie night! Come see a holiday feature the whole family will love at the Sun Valley Opera House.
- Tap along to a merry tune! Après Ski Live Music continues at River Run Lodge.
Saturday, December 16th
- Make merry at the market! Our traditional European-style open-air market opens for its 7th year. Shop for locally-made artisan goods, holiday gifts, and sip delicious gluhwein (spiced wine).
- Carve a new holiday memory! A live ice carving demonstration will take place near Village Station.
- Deck the halls at the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony! Santa will make a special appearance, and a live performance by Faculty Lounge will keep spirits bright.
Monday, December 18th
- Double the features, double the fun! Movie night at the Opera House will begin with a free screening of Sun Valley Serenade, the classic 1941 musical adventure filmed right here at home, followed by a ticketed screening of Warren Miller’s film All Time.
Week 3: A Very Merry Sun Valley Christmas
Have a holly, jolly, merry, and bright week as Christmas comes to Sun Valley. The Sun Valley Carolers will be strolling and singing throughout the Village daily and Santa himself will be stopping by for Brunch.
Thursday, December 21st
- Wish our historic Resort a happy 87th birthday with some Après Ski Live Music at River Run Lodge and an outdoor showing of Sun Valley Serenade at the Lodge Pool.
- Bask in the glow of our brand new holiday tradition, “A Sun Valley Story” holiday concert. A harmonious blend of holiday classics and brand-new compositions will bring warmth and wonder to audiences in our historic Opera House.
Saturday, December 23rd
- Brunch with the Big Man himself! Santa Claus will be coming to town and dining in at the Sun Valley Clubhouse. Live music and a kid-friendly buffet will make for a magical morning.
- Take a dip and catch a flick! Outdoor Kids Movie will play at the Lodge Pool.
Sunday, December 24th
- Ring in Christmas Eve with our Christmas-themed ice show! The Sun Valley Carolers will set the tone with a pre-show performance of Christmas favorites.
- Let the torches light the way to another Christmas Day! Watch as the Annual Torchlight Parade makes its way down Dollar Mountain.
- Ooh and ahh as the fireworks spectacular end Christmas Eve with a bang! Complimentary cookies and hot cocoa will be served on the Lodge Terrace for all to enjoy.
Week 4: Ring in 2024 with Night Skiing & a New Year’s “Snow Ball!”
Should auld acquaintance be forgot, you’ll always remember celebrating New Year’s Eve in Sun Valley. Après Ski Live Music will be featured every evening in River Run Lodge, and holiday magic will take its turn into an all-out bash in honor of a new year.
Saturday, December 30st
- End your year on a funny note! Comedy at the Opera House continues with a stand-up performance from Don Friesen.
- Party poolside! Kids can enjoy an outdoor movie by the Lodge Pool.
Sunday, December 31st
- Ski under the stars! Skiers and riders of all ages are invited to take in the last turns of 2023 under the starry Sun Valley sky. Don’t miss live music and a fireworks display you won’t soon forget.
- Have a ball! There’s no better place to be when the clock strikes midnight than toasting the new year with the ones you love most. Save the best for last as we celebrate the past year at the New Year’s Eve “Snow Ball” Party at River Run Lodge.